Give to MAT


Access to Elings Hall

The doors to Elings Hall are open Monday through Friday, from 8am to 5pm. Outside of these hours, Access Cards are used to enter the building. Gaining access to Elings Hall is a two-step process:

  1. Obtain your UCSB Access ID card at the UCen.

    • MAT will pay for Access ID cards for department members if the MAT recharge authorization form is submitted when purchasing the Access ID card. Please pick up the authorization form from Lisa Thwing before purchasing the Access ID card.
    • Only Access ID cards obtained after July 2012 are able to be used as building access cards.
  2. Add Elings Hall access to Access ID card.

    • Use the CNSI online system at to request access to Elings Hall. On the Access and Security page, select the link "Access Application".
    • Select "CNSI Exterior Doors" access only, unless you have prior permission to gain access to the AlloSphere or a specific lab.

Getting Keys

Keys to the labs in Elings Hall are issued on an "as needed" basis. If you need a key, the faculty member responsible for the lab should request one on your behalf by sending an email to Lisa Thwing, at lisa (at)

Keys are issued by Lisa Thwing in room 3316 in Phelps Hall. If you have any questions, you may contact her at lisa (at)

Departmental Mail

Students may pick up mail in the MAT mailroom, room 2603, Elings Hall.

Change of Address

Students who move during the school year or change their phone number must inform the Graduate Program Assistant, and update the information via the GOLD system so a current address and phone number is always on record.