|Courses:MAT200A 02W:Report:your subject
schedule MAT200A 02W
Report by: Chien-wei Li
|What is Holography?||
Holography is one of the remarkable achievements of a modern science and technology. Holograms have unique property to restore the high-grade volumetric image of real subjects. The word "holography" originated from the Greek words holos - whole and grapho - write, that means complete record of the image.
Holography is three-dimensional laser photography. The hologram is a true, three-dimensional record of the original object. It contains depth , parallax phase of light waves ,which is the ability to see around the object to objects placed behind.
Holography dates from 1947, when British (native of Hungary) scientist Dennis Gabor developed the theory of holography while working to improve the resolution of an electron microscope. Gabor coined the term hologram from the Greek words holos, meaning "whole," and gramma, meaning "message". Further development in the field was stymied during the next decade because light sources available at the time were not truly "coherent" (monochromatic or one-color, from a single point, and of a single wavelength).
|Principle of hologram:||
Make your own laser holography
|Common Types of Holograms||
There are two basic types of holograms: reflection hologram Transmission holograms
1. Reflection Holograms: Reflection holograms are high contrast with dark backgrounds, which reflect the viewing light. Most common in consumer applications such as gift products, these are often categorized based on their film material
2. Transmission Holograms: Transmission holograms are clear film windows, which transmit the viewing light Viewed with light shining through the hologram. Process and equipments:
1. 3D image display:
You can see full volumetric (3D) illusion of the object. Such images appear in a hologram one after another during observation
2. Medical: Recent improvements in hologram recording techniques and the availability of tools for the interpretation of holographic interferograms and the success of holographic techniques in imaging through tissues, ophthalmology, dentistry, urology, otology, pathology, and orthopedics shows a strong promise for holography to emerge as a powerful tool for medical applications.
3. Military weapon and testing
4. Exploration and measurement:
5.Computer storage: An optical method of storing massive amounts of data in small areas by writing data as light patterns in three dimensions on a film like medium.
6 Security and anti-counterfeiting: Credit card security: American express (E-commerce reader)
7. Art: The development of holography has given a very effective way of creation of qualitative three-dimensional images. The new independent area of holographic creative work - representational holography has appeared. Artistic holography as important style in this holographic area has become a new kind of fine arts.
The development of holography has given a very effective way of creation of qualitative three-dimensional images. The new independent area of holographic creative work - representational holography has appeared. Artistic holography as important style in this holographic area has become a new kind of fine arts.
Group : Art in holography
Alexanda Dunton of Neshamah Studios Dunton
Nancy Gorglione paint
|Future of holography||
Holo-printer - 2004
Holographic Medical Imaging - 2004
$1 Billion Industry - 2006
Holographic Storage - 2009
Holophone - 2018